This Page

has been moved to new address

What I Learned At The Dollar Movies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Momo Fali's: What I Learned At The Dollar Movies

Monday, August 13, 2007

What I Learned At The Dollar Movies

I have been to the movies three times in the past four days. I don't know what's gotten into me. My husband and I used to see movies all the time. You know, back when we had lives. But, the opportunity to see a film has dwindled to a few times a year, and usually movie night is reserved for those of the Disney/Pixar variety.

But, Friday night my husband and I got a babysitter and snuck out for a few hours. After a nice dinner, we spent $17.00 on movie tickets (plus another $10.00 on concessions) to see The Bourne Ultimatum. It was a good movie, but what is with the shaky camera syndrome? There were times I had to look away, because every scene looked like it had been filmed in an earthquake. And, the editing was so quick and choppy that I had the sensation of spinning about in a Cuisinart. I liked the movie, but I left there feeling really OLD. Those darn Hollywood youngsters and their flashy cinematography!

Yesterday, my daughter and I spent the day at the mall while the boys were away. After visiting all the stores with floor to ceiling glitter, where girls are getting their ears pierced and buying all things that sparkle, I decided to take my daughter to her first chick-flick. We spent $12.00 for tickets and $3.00 more for popcorn, then settled in for the new Catherine Zeta-Jones movie. I had heard it was good. A make-you-laugh, make-you-cry film. Yeah right. It was BOR-ing. I can't even believe we stayed awake.

Today I decided to take the kids to see Evan Almighty. It's playing at the "dollar movies", and because it's Monday, and we had more than three people, we got in for 50 cents each. They also had a deal where you could buy a kids-meal sized box of popcorn AND a drink for $2.50. Sign me up!

Turns out, this was my favorite movie of the three. Not because it was a bargain, though that was nice. But, because I laughed, and both my kids laughed, AND to top it off this movie had some moral value.

I didn't walk into the theater thinking it would be anything but mere low-level entertainment. Just something to do for a couple of hours on a hot, August day. But, we left there having learned lessons in courage, decency and goodness. My daughter picked up on the "Acts of Random Kindness" message, whereas I paid particular attention to the part where Morgan Freeman says, "If you pray for patience, do you expect God to just give you patience? Or, does He put you in situations where you can learn to be patient?" I suddenly remembered a co-worker who once told me you should never pray for patience, because if you HAVE it, then you may be put in a predicament where you NEED it. This was before I had kids, so I really had NO CLUE about how often I would need to stay calm and composed.

Who would've thought I'd be reminded of those words of wisdom at the dollar movies? There on the sticky seat, eating popcorn out of a kid's meal box, with the two little people who most often test the patience that I'll try not to ask for anymore.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]